Channel S5: Is Powerade, Powerade Zero Bad? - Channel S5

• (2 Pages) +

Is Powerade, Powerade Zero Bad? ???? I personally think its good for work in sun and working out.

Poll: Is Powerade, Powerade Zero Bad? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Powerade, Powerade Zero Bad?

1. Yes (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. It's Good For You, It has Niacin, B12, B6, Magnesium (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Kazu™ 

• S5 Moderator
  • Group: Members
Soooo,

The reason I ask this question is that, my friend think's that "Powerade, Powerade Zero" is crap and junk for the body. "I drink Powerade Zero" because it has "Zero Calories" and still 4 Important, stuff that is good for the body in intense situations, such as work in the sun and working out.

So what is your opinion? Do you drink either if you do what do you think? Is it bad? Is it Good?

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/Kazu101/POWERADE_ION4_934.jpg

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/Kazu101/powerade_zero_905.jpg

User is offline   Paradise 

• Pro
First of all, you have to state what your workout goal is and what type of working out are you doing? If you are doing a typical 45-75minute gym session, water is the best fuel. If you are working out for longer in some type of long distance thing then gatorade is good because it restores your electrolytes and has a specific type of sugar that releases into you and helps restore your energy stores to a bit. I would use either of those vs powerade (personal preference)

I do not know much about powerade 0 but I imagine they replaced the carbohydrates with some other type of fuel so it has less calories
http://productnutrit...rade-zero-grape
http://productnutrition.thecoca-colacompany.com/images/packagings/PAzero_2010_bottle_20oz_Grape.jpg

http://productnutrition.thecoca-colacompany.com/images/packagings/POWERADE_Fruit_Punch.jpg
http://productnutrit...ade-fruit-punch

The key difference you want to take note of is the carbohydrates. if you are REALLY REALLY trying to lose weight and you are cutting out carbs wherever you can then i GUESS zero would be better for you, but i would take the carb fuel any day over a small amount of cut calories

I don't really know what your friend meant by junk... if the main energy supply of your body is junk then idk, it sounds like you have a 'bro-scientist'

example of bro science- doing situos gets your abs to show

it is good to take a multi vitamin, and fish oil/omega to promote overall health and heart health since im assuming u r doing cardio actvity. These products are rigorously tested by 3rd party companies and the companies themselves i highly doubt any LEGAL thing you buy will 'be bad for you'. Almost anything in moderation is ok... anything in excess is bad. Now if you have a PERSONAL medical issue that is triggered by X product thats a whole nother story ud have to adress with ur doctor

This post has been edited by Paradise: 14 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

User is offline   box 

• Semi Pro

Kazu™ said:

Alright....I guess your right. Maybe I have posted stupid questions lately LOL!~....

• Pro
well this isnt stupid though it is sort of random, its in teh right section

a lot of people drink/eat things and dont know what the hell it does to their body so its a legit ?

User is offline   Kapitan 

• Super Rookie
Thing is anytime you intake vitamins from their unnatural source what they do for you is negligible. While it couldn't hurt you can hardly say it helps. I'm assuming the Zero means 0 or low calorie which means artificial sweetener and that's bad no matter what it's in.

With Powerade you're also getting salt (electrolytes) that can be good for you assuming you're working out enough to sweat, but too much water retention also can be bad (not often the case). My recommendation is to drink water before during and after workout. The best thing you can do for your body which is over half water is to keep it flowing. 8D

This applies to every flavored water/workout drinks. Gatorade, Allsport, Lifewater, Vitamin Water, etc...

User is offline   Kazu™ 

• S5 Moderator
Hmmmmm....It not that good I see lol~ I do drink lots of water during "Work" (in the sun) lol....But I sweat alot so "Powerade" helps me replenish this loss. Artificial stuff inside true but still helps.

Any other opinions o.o

• Pro
if you are in the sun a long time water is good but you also need to get some sort of sugar whether thats on a lunch break or what... if drinking powerade is your only option for that then you should. the calories arent from the sweetener its from the carbs carbs are your bodies MAINNNNNNNNNNNNNN FUELLLLLLLLLLLL SOURCE whetherits artificial or from fruits you need it...and yes getting nutrients from real food is better but to say vitamins from supplements are negligible is just the falsest thing ive heard

unlesss your like goingto a bodybuilding competition idk wth water retention would even be an issue for.. which it wouldnt be anyway

but if your into the everything must be natural thing w/e god bless

also your descriptionof the activity ur doing is way to vague 'im out in the sun working and sweating' could mean like 10million things

This post has been edited by Paradise: 14 August 2012 - 02:40 AM

User is offline   SlayeZ 

• Pro
If you're not serious about exercise/conditioning/bodybuilding/sports and aren't overweight, WHY U CARE ABOUT POWERADE VS POWERADE 0?

.-.

User is offline   Celestian 

• Rookie
some people are clearly too good for this sort of topic!

in my experience, and to simplify what was said earlier, unless you're doing athletics or marathoning, water should be sufficient given that you begin your workout session in a healthy frame of mind. if you're just working outside - I assume you aren't a blue-collar worker - it really isn't that important. IMHO, all of these drinks have inflated reputations and are honestly not that good for you (not that they are not bad, though). your body naturally replenishes electrolytes through foods, and specific foods are better for replenishing them than others are. the electrolyte drinks are only useful, imho, if you're playing a high-intensity sport. and even then, it's important to note that the myth that sweat lost = electrolytes lost = must drink powerade is incorrect as well. these drinks are only going to give you a small boost in electrolytes. all of the cool public athlete figures are always shown drinking them, but the amount they drink is easily dwarfed by their water intake.

tl;dr: unless you are a marathon runner, don't drink both of them and instead focus on having a better diet. powerade zero is obviously the better of the two, but still, if I were you, I'd only use it occasionally. the only serious workout enthusiast that i know drinks it copiously does so due to an electrolyte imbalance that he has to countervail in order to continue his workout schedule.

and yes, as was stated before, these drinks have vitamins, but you shouldn't resort to using that line of reasoning to justify drinking it, unless you have no idea how else to receive those vitamins - in which case, go read a diet book, or just take supplements to receive them without the countervailing sugars and calories. they provide glucose, which is extremely important, but it's only worth drinking if you're doing two hours of pure working out. even then, you certainly don't need to drink the entire bottle and risk flouting a high sodium intake. one of the secret dangers involved in fluid intake while exercising is imbibing too much fluids (which is why I really dislike the popular idea of "sweat loss = sweat that must be regained!").

This post has been edited by Paracosm: 14 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

• Pro
THATS WHAT I SAID.. or tried to

if youre doing normal training no need for more than water and gatorade has dextrosewhich is better for recovery and is good to use post workout especially mixed with something like whey if uve been at a high intensity fo ra long time... though most post work out shakes are designed to spike your insulin and help you enter an anabolic state so its not realy necessary if you have a shake.. you need SOME type of fast rekease carbs post workout.. which one it is up to you

if the OP is asking about powerade 0 probably a very long way from having a full well balanced diet...

and OP stil no say what activity is

right now i take in like 6300 calories a day.. really have to know your diet and activity level and goal to say whether drinking it or not is bad.. and quality multi vitamins can compoensate for food to a pretty good extent.. your small intestine isnt just like NOPEEEE bad and reject it

like 80% of people are probably too busy/lazy/lacking knowledge to meet their DRV every day for vitamins and minerals so having some kind of multi is almost necessary for the general public though ya in an ideal world getting it from food would be etter

This post has been edited by Paradise: 14 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   JinNJuice 

• Pro
  • Group: Moderator
I think this is a critical discussion. We all have our own bodies, while it may be similar, still very different in our own ways. For those who don't care, YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN BOTHER POSTING, IF YOU SO GIVE ZERO FUCKS. Stupid shit like that is counterproductive, while we actually input on this topic.

I have a question. What would be a good way to gain weight? Although I have work and projects occupying my time, occasionally I do exercise. I know "occasionally" is a very vague word, but even I don't know when or how often I would be able to exercise. Any general advice would be helpful.

User is offline   ex0blast0r 

• Super Rookie
american Powerade bottles look so much better than the german ones D: (or european)

• Pro
To gain or lose weight is a lot simpler than people make it seem. To gain a pound its about 3500-3600 kCal (this is for everybody) and to lose a pound it is the same. I'm assuming you want to gain lean muscle mass so it is important not to go over board with the eating even though you want to gain weight. Typically people trying to 'bulk' without gaining fat eat about 500 calories over their BMR, which is your basal metabolic rate AKA how many calories your body uses everyday

It sounds more complicated than it is but after 2 weeks or so of monitoring your diet you can get a general idea. For example, weigh yoruself on a scale (preferably a digital one that gives the exact number) and make sure you are wearing the same clothes or just do it naked w/e floats your boat. Try staying around 2500 calories for that week (if you got under or over a litle its ok just take note of it). If you lose like a pound it means your BMR is around 3000 calories (7x500 = 3500 meaning you lost a pound because your intake was 500under for those 7 days) If you gain a pound it means your BMR is around 2000, for the same reason. Its good to do this first thingin the morning because of issues like water retention possibly adding or taking away weight

Also when you are trying to gain weight you have to pay attention to your macros,(carbs/protein/essential fats) A pretty standard way of doing it is 1g to 1.5gs of protein per LB u weight, aout 60-90gs of fat and the rest goes into carbohydrates. I dont know how much you weigh though so its probalyb est you message me height/weight ect if youd rather not post it here for more precise advise

As to your work out do you go to a gym or do you do calisthenics? Also depending on your age you might gain a lot of weight from weight training. your body is pumping out test like crazy so its very typical for younger lifters to shoot up in weight because your genetics kick in and things get larger faster...but its nothing to worry about as long as your diet is good

also when you are logging your caloric intake write down activities you do.. if you run or walk a long distance write it down ect.. at your agereally if you eat clean, stay away from soda and trash like that and drink lots of water you will easily gain weight, figuring out the macros is a bit more advanced

This post has been edited by Paradise: 14 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

User is offline   Shienryu 

• I owned S5!
Like everyone else said powerade/gatorade/etc is pointless unless you do high intensity training such as a long cardio session, pretty much only athletes really need to. Most people just focus on their diet and meals which is pretty much 80% of getting fit and lean. Just eat a lot of meat and vegetables and try to get ~1g of protein of your body weight, fish oil and shit is good too. Getting your right nutrition and calorie goals is pretty easy stuff, don't need to eat 5-6 meals a day like a lot of people bullshit.

User is offline   SlayeZ 

• Pro

JinNJuice, on 14 August 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

I think this is a critical discussion. We all have our own bodies, while it may be similar, still very different in our own ways. For those who don't care, YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN BOTHER POSTING, IF YOU SO GIVE ZERO FUCKS. Stupid shit like that is counterproductive, while we actually input on this topic.

I have a question. What would be a good way to gain weight? Although I have work and projects occupying my time, occasionally I do exercise. I know "occasionally" is a very vague word, but even I don't know when or how often I would be able to exercise. Any general advice would be helpful.

Gaining Weight is pretty hard for skinny people

I used to be 125lbs before I stared to work out (and i eat hella alot)

atm im at about 146lbs, a 20 lb difference, and I eat less than before.

to gain alot of weight its definitely good dieting (not the lose fat kind, btu the healthy kind) and definitely working out, as muscles weigh more than fat.

But its still really hard for skinny people to gain weight, people dont think I'm 140+Lbs, just 160lb

User is offline   JinNJuice 

• Pro
  • Group: Moderator
Ah, I don't care about privacy so much.

I'm male, 20 years old, around 115 lbs. and 5' 6" tall, Asian :/, lanky arms, very high metabolism. I do have some muscles from my previous exercises.

• Pro
Well you are probably both ectomorphs, which means your natural bodymass retains less weight... which isnt a bad thing it just means you have to put extra work in

There really is no such thing as skinny or lanky people NOT being able to gain weight.. even if your eating alot in your mind it could be still close to your metabolism....gaining weight is simply math unless you have a medical disorder of some sort if you take in more than 3500 calories than your body burned you WILL store a pound.

i often have really active skinny people come to me and they often boast of their 4000-5000 calorie in take and say they still dont gain a pound... though for a nomral person that is alot for you it may simply not be.Your BMR or metaolic rate could be quite close to that. There are alot of things that affect your metabolism, first is how many times a day you eat. The digestive process is a very active job your body needs to do... ideally a person who wants to lose weight wants to eat 5-6 meals because it means your metaolic rate will increase... also your small intestine absorbs nutriients better when its not being overloaded...

on the flip side if you are struggling to gain weight, a technique a lot of powerlifters and other athletes goal is weight gain is to eat very large meals only twice or maybe three times a day...it slows down your metabolism and youll end up with more stored... Also cardiovascular activity for 20-30minutes + increases your metaolism.. and no Cardio is not walking.. cardio is an activity that raises your heart rate between 60ish and 85% of your max heart rate for 20 minutes or more..your body wlil stay in this elevated burning rate for about 24-40hours after you do the activity...

the next thing that increases your metabolism is reisistance training... when you tear down your muscles and bone cels during a workout your body must expend a lot of energy repairing, thus increasing your metabolic rate..

so if you are trying to gain weight you have to keep all of these things in mind.. For people with high metabolisms something like Natural peanut butter is good for getting calories though if you over do it you can gain bad weight.. tut sincee your skinny it probably wouldnt be a problem for you to lose it.

and muscle being 'heavier' then fat is a bit of misconception, muscle is more dense than fat... thus why if you want to find out how muhc of your bodyweight is muscle a hydrostatic (sp) test is best... this is when you get weighed in water.. fat molecules float and muscle molecules dont so whatever your weight is the most accurate way to find out how much of you is muscle (not an easy method)

exercise really is a science you have to put how much is the MINIMUM time a week you can dedicate to exercise and you have to have some kind of idea of how many calories you take in...if you are 115 pounds you should gain weight pretty easily once you figure out what your body needs in terms of calories. You have to be a little more organized then 'i eat a lot and exercise when i can'

everyone is different trust me, 90% of people who say they eat alot and cant ggain weight really dont eat alot... sometimes people have to take in as much as 7000-8000 calories to gain because their metabolism is so high.. this is especially the case with track runners and such.

so let me know if your doing calisthenics or going to a gym and try to log what you eat

males @ 16-25 typically can have huge jumps in weight just from putting in compound lifts like squats/bench/rows/deadlifts because your body still has great growth potential/large amounts of test,but i dont know what your gym experience is and idk what you mean by you simply saying youve exercised

my current certification is in strength and conditioning so if u need help with a program i could help with that too

This post has been edited by Paradise: 14 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

User is offline   Shienryu 

• I owned S5!

JinNJuice, on 14 August 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

Ah, I don't care about privacy so much.

I'm male, 20 years old, around 115 lbs. and 5' 6" tall, Asian :/, lanky arms, very high metabolism. I do have some muscles from my previous exercises.

Just focus on macro-nutrients, mostly proteins, approximately consume 115g a day if you can. You can gain weight by gaining muscle mass. Just eat right and exercise, focus on strength.

User is offline   Kazu™ 

• S5 Moderator
O.o....

Wow I didn't think I get such critical responses for this topic although most of it was about dieting and losing weight which fits the topic of this and which helps to LOL!~ So basically in the end 'Powerade' is generally for athletes who pretty much do intense, intense workouts and practicing.

Thanks for the great responses and for those who posted with some dumb comment -your posts have been deleted- ;]

american Powerade bottles look so much better than the german ones D: (or european)

o.o...what they look like?

User is offline   SlayeZ 

• Pro

Kazu™, on 14 August 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

O.o....

Wow I didn't think I get such critical responses for this topic although most of it was about dieting and losing weight which fits the topic of this and which helps to LOL!~ So basically in the end 'Powerade' is generally for athletes who pretty much do intense, intense workouts and practicing.

Not exactly, Water is still da boss, and Protein shakes are still sexy...so Powerade is no where near those 2

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages) +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Return to forumsMember Login
Register new account