XI. Resources
-----------------

-----------------
XII. Credits
-----------------

-----------------
XIII. Thanks
-----------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
I. Introduction

Welcome to the S4 League Evasive Gun Style (egS) guide. Here you will find a compilation of many different ideas, moves, techniques, and strategies which are all geared to maximize playing potential. This guide is geared towards both refining the skills of adept players as well as introduce and teach new players to the game. Whether you are already skilled in S4 or not, I will still strongly ask you to read everything in this guide, starting at the beginning. You might learn something new about even the most simplest of things, or even be able to point out and teach me something new I did not know myself. To find something quickly in this guide, use the Ctrl-F function and search any of the section titles you see in the contents. Enjoy the guide.
A. Legal

I do not own S4 League or anything in it, Alaplaya owns rights to the game. What I do own are all the ideas presented in this guide, and most of the discoveries of the moves described in this guide (Discoveries or team-studies on moves by/with other people are listed in the Credits section). Everything in this guide was written by me. Altering this document in any way and/or calling it your own violates intellectual property rights. Any website has the permission to host and display this document without my permission; so long as I am notified of it, the document remains completely intact, and a link back to the original file is provided.

B. About / Idea

This guide covers an advanced playing style of S4 League called Evasive Gun Style. The idea behind egS is to move fast to dodge enemy shots, but at the same time being able to return fire. Not all moves require the same skills. Not all ideas presented are actually moves. There are plenty of things that are easy to perform and use which are almost identically useful to the extremely hard to accomplish. There are also things described here that you or other people already do normally without even thinking. Amidst of all of these things, however, is the idea of potential. By bringing old habits and movements into the light, one can more fully accomplish them and master the move's output. By introducing new and much harder ideas, one can more fully master his dexterity in controlling his character, and therefore mastering himself. Knowing yourself and controlling yourself is the greatest key to success you can wield. There will also be many times in this guide where exact answers or clear cut steps stay ambiguous and are left out. This is meant to spark your interest to experiment on your own. Without the wanting to learn more and the action behind finding it alone---learning and growing can slow down, even to a complete stop. Experimenting yourself will teach you more than I ever could.

C. Credentials

I am Cysote Dokgo, a name known in a few small corners of the Internet. As far as I can find, this name is completely unique in all the Internet, excluding the YouTube account Cysote. On YouTube I am thered207 or CysoteDokgo. My minor works mainly include much studying and findings in the world of Nexus:TK (www.nexustk.com), mainly focusing on patterns and the set, but hidden, workings behind the game. My major work is that in GunZ:The Duel (gunz.ijji.com). I helped to pioneer a new style of play and developed many different ideas and moves centered around this style, called dStyle. My guide on dStyle can be found on (gunzfactor.com) and many movies I made centered around this style are scattered on Youtube and Google video, titled 'Do Dagger'.

II. The Basics

Welcome to the world of S4 League! I bet you're wondering how the heck to play, hm? Here I have listed all the basic controls of S4 and the workings behind them. I have also described different ideas and uses for them as well. Knowing these controls inside and out will give you a fair playing field against every other competitor. You will, and should, use all of these moves in every game you play in. Let's get started.
A. Moving / Looking

The absolute cornerstone to the game is this. If you do not move around or do not look around, you will lose; no question. The keys w, a, s, and d will let you move in whichever direction you desire. The mouse will let you look around. It might seem silly for me to say this, but really master these. Move everywhere; never stop moving. A moving target is much harder to hit. Look everywhere; never stop looking. Seeing others before they see you gives you a great advantage, as quickly finding an enemy who is already shooting at you may save your life. You can also crouch by holding the ctrl key down. Crouching is very limited however, and cannot be done while shooting or reloading. Even so, it should still be considered as movement with regular walking and looking. Combine all of these and learn them well.

Steps: w, a, s, or d to move; move the mouse to look; hold ctrl to crouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B. Basic Fighting

Clicking the left button on your mouse will fire the weapon (or use the item) you currently have out. Pressing any of the keys 1, 2, or 3 will switch your weapon to whatever you have stored in those slots. Always have multiple weapons on you. If you're in the middle of a fight and run out of ammo, it's better to switch guns then to try and reload your current one. Reloading can happen by pressing the R key or running out of ammo (in which it reloads for you automatically). Combine this basic fighting with good movement and better aim, and you should be able to compete in any match.

Steps: Click the mouse to fire, press 1 2 or 3 to switch weapons, press R to reload

1. Hp / Sp

Both of these are statistics of your character. Hp is the amount of damage your character can take before he/she dies. Sp is the amount of power you have to perform special movements or skills. Both of them can be found in the bottom middle of your screen, the yellow being the Sp and the Blue being the Hp. Your Sp will automatically regenerate when it is used. Hp will go down when you are hit and will stay down until you either die or are healed by a teammate (or mind shock an enemy, which will be explained later). Always make sure you know how much of each you have so that you know what you're capable of at the time. If you're down and around at 10-20 Hp, you aren't gonna last in an open fight for very long, so it would probably be in your best interest to hang back and try to snipe people from afar to make the most use of your life. Also, if you're low on Sp, you should know that things like Wall Jumping can't happen, so don't do it. Make sure you always have a good idea of where these two stats are at any given time of the game.

2. Run

The Run will get you from Point A to Point B in no time flat. To execute it, double tap forward and hold it. Your character will look like he's running in slow motion, but you really are actually moving fast. Running drains your Sp slowly, but it's slow enough that you can stay in this state for a pretty long time. While running, it's good to note that you can't move in any other direction except forwards, so if you want to turn a corner or something, you have to move your camera with the mouse. Running is the second fastest way to move around and can be done anywhere, so use it. The only problem with running is that you're normally very prone to be shot because you're moving at the same speed the whole time. Running can also be done in mid-air and will cancel jumps. You can't run while reloading, so be careful.

Steps: Double tap forward (w--w)

3. Jump

Aside from looking very cool, jumping is very useful for a number of things; the main uses of it being evasion and getting somewhere. The jump can be performed in almost any circumstance and there are also many ways to do one. Simply pushing spacebar will send you into the air, but also holding forwards or backwards will do it too. You can also hold forwards or backwards and left or right while pushing spacebar to jump as well. Jumping solely side to side is impossible, as you'll perform a dash. Jumps can be canceled by shooting or dashing, and jumps can cancel dashes. For the most part, jumping is independent of other actions, so you can shoot and jump, reload and jump, use a skill and jump (or the other way around), etc. One downside of the jump is the landing portion of it. The lag time from landing is actually quite long so it takes a second before you can jump again. Even so, if you want to live longer become a human pogo stick and start jumping around.

Steps: Space; w(s)--Space; w(s)+d--Space; w(s)+a--Space

4. Dash

Also a cool looking move, the dash is quick and fast. To perform it, hold either d or a and push your spacebar. This move does suffer from the same problem as Jumping though; it has quite a bit of downtime in finishing the move. You'll start out zooming to one side quickly, but towards the end of the dash (before you can regularly move again) you'll slow down. Because dashes can't cancel dashes, you'll have to perform other things out of the dash if you want to keep moving fast, such as a jump. Dashes are very useful for closing small gaps and generally avoiding enemy fire. They do take a small chunk of your Sp though, so watch it. The dash is a cornerstone to egS; get used to it.

Steps: d(a)+Space
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C. Skills

Skills are the special abilities you can use in game. Whether it be flying, creating walls, phasing in shields, or anchoring from place to place, skills are very useful in their own ways. Here I will go over the general idea behind most of the skills and how they relate to egS, but there are sure to be many more ways that these skills can use utilized. Most skills do take Sp to use, so you'll have to balance dodging with skill usage if you want to use both. You can only use one skill, so choose wisely. Skills fall under two categories, Active and Passive.

1. Active

Active skills involve everything but Hp and Sp Mastery. They are dormant moves and abilities until you press the Shift button to activate them. When activated, your Sp is drained in various amounts depending on the skill you've decided to use. In general, active skills are not recommended for full time egSers, as they do drain the precious Sp you need to perform regular fighting and dodging skills. Even so, certain situations and part-time egSers can find much use with them.

Anchoring: Create a board underneath you and shoot a chain out where you aim it. What the chain touches, it will attach onto, and you'll fly forwards fast, straight towards it. When you reach the end, you'll automatically jump off the board. Anchoring is a very useful skill in Touchdown games for crossing gaps and getting over walls. Death Match games can also find use with anchoring because of the speed in which you travel, and getting to higher places easier. Judging the distance that anchoring can go and aiming it can sometimes be hard. The Sp usage is moderately low and is consumed as soon as you press shift. You can start anchors in the air and continue using them until you run out of Sp. Trying to escape from a fight with Anchoring is not a good idea, as you can't move while the chain of the Anchor is being thrown out. Surprising people with it from the air (who may be on the other side of the wall or something) is a viable use.

Fly: Sprout wings and take to the air. Flying is very interesting and has its niche in uses. For instance, if you're fighting someone in a relatively open space, and you hurt them fairly bad, they may jump down into a ditch or behind some obstacle. You can simply fly over the ditch or whatnot and resume the fight before they want to. You can cancel the flying at any time by letting go of shift, and you can also reload while in the air. Flying takes little Sp to use and you can stay airborne for quite a long time. Getting to high or very strange places is also no problem for fliers. Flying over a heated battle on the ground can give you a height advantage, because no one really looks to the sky for enemies when others are just sitting on the ground in front of them. The only big drawback to fly is that it's just too dang slow. Not a viable option for dodging bullets, although it does dodge swords quite well.

Shield: Phase an energy shield in front of you to block incoming bullets. The shield constantly drains your Sp while it is up and drains even faster as enemy bullets hit it. Even so, the shield is a wonder for saving either your life, or someone else's. Full-time egSers will not use the shield much for themselves, because the Sp can be better used to dodge bullets instead of blocking them. Shielding for other people though is a viable option if you notice someone else trying to reload or if you are protecting a sentry gun. It also can be used in TouchDowns to protect a ball carrier. Against a large crowd of enemies, however, it wont last long and you're probably better off to just try and dodge. Even so, when you're in tight quarters and can't dodge, shielding against a large group of enemies is better than just dieing. The Shield is also very large and has two other flaws. It attracts a lot of attention, and so should only be used when necessary, and it also covers a wide area in front of your body. Even bullets that wouldn't have normally hit you, will now be stopped by your shield and will drain your Sp. However, the shield is useful if you are out of ammo and need to reload, since you can't dodge and reload at the same time. Shields also don't stop melee attacks. It's really your decision if you want to use this one.

Block: Create a wall right in front of you. Sp is drained the second the wall comes up. This skill actually has very interesting uses. Because you can't dodge and reload at the same time, putting up a block to hide behind while reloading is useful. You can also use blocks as stoppers in TouchDowns to keep the ball runner from scoring. Another interesting use of Block is to use it as a mobile wall jumper. You can get up onto roofs and other places by creating a wall in mid air and then wall jumping off of it. Also, if a sword user is rushing you, put a block up to stop him. Experiment with this one, it's uses are varied.

2. Passive

These skills are ones that you don't have to worry about. They are always working while you play the game and require no active use. These are normally the best ones to use with egS since they don't take Sp to use, but it's really how you play. Read about em and decide for yourself.

Hp Mastery: Add 30 Hp to your max. For the egSer, this is actually pretty useful. You wont be the perfect dodger every time, and having a little extra padding to absorb your mistakes really helps out and can make the difference in a fight. Unless you have a healer on your team you wont get it back, but it still can mean the difference between living or dieing and give you another chance to win. Because you don't have to worry about it, you can fully concentrate on strategies and your technique to maximize your performance in regular fights.

Sp Mastery: Add 40 Sp to your max. For the egSer, this is also pretty useful. With extra Sp, you can stay on the attack more often and can also dodge for a longer period of time, thus living longer and being able to chase fleeing opponents better. Your Sp still regenerates at the same pace, but you just have so much more of it that you can move around much better. I find that with any other skill, I run out of Sp and ammo at around the same time that my opponent runs out of ammo, so I can either reload with my opponent or just whip out another gun and shoot him down while my Sp regens. For two on ones though, Sp mastery will let you keep dodging and fighting, so it's very useful here. Also, if you plan on mixing many of the more advanced techniques in your style, this extra boost of Sp will really help you out. For the less intensive egSer, consider a different skill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
D. Wall Jump

The Wall Jump is an interesting maneuver. To do it, jump into a wall (holding forward) and then push space again to jump off of it. The start of the wall jump is a regular jump, so it's still moderately slow. At the middle of the jump, when you're about to kick off of the wall, you freeze for a moment. After the freeze, you be sent flying away from the wall extremely quickly. This is the fastest way to get somewhere, as it appears anyway. It contends for that spot with running, mainly because you do need a wall to do it, whereas a run can be performed anywhere. However, the only time you lose Sp during a wall jump is right at the middle, when you're hanging on the wall. The entire time you're flying through the air, you're actually recovering your Sp. While running, you're constantly losing Sp---so I think Wall Jump beats out the run. Wall jumps can also get you to higher and more interesting places than normal, like on top of roofs, or over other walls, or even over large gaps. Experiment with it. Watch other people do it. Randomly pull one off in a fight. You'll learn a lot about where you can get to and what you can do if you start messing with it.

Steps: Jump into wall, Jump off of wall.

III. The Core

Welcome to The Core of Evasive Gun Style. This section is where the main techniques and moves for egS are described in detail. Sorted from easier to harder, be sure to become adept in each tech before you move onto the next one. Some of these are simple in idea and practice, but all are hard to master. For those wanting to speed up their game and put up tough fights against anyone, keep reading. At the end of some techs and moves, there may be single parentheses which include a step that can be ommitted from the move. Any double parentheses will have the word 'repeat' in it, which is self-explanatory.
A. Walls

Walls have so many uses, there's no way to list them all in only one section. Walls and other obstacles can give you the upper hand in any fight as long as you manipulate them correctly. Whether it's a one on one or five on one, you'll perform well by utilizing walls both directly and indirectly.

1. Direct

Direct use of walls is described as interacting with the wall. This mainly only includes Wall Jumps, but Anchoring also comes into play here. Depending on what you need is how you should directly use the walls. If you need a fast approach to a wall, either from running away from someone or trying to get to a high place, anchoring there helps out. If someone tries to rush you with a sword, do a wall jump to put good distance between you and him. Instead of stepping out from behind a corner to shoot at someone (who knows you're there), jump off of the corner and shoot at him from the air. If you need to get across the map extremely quickly to help out teammates, anchor up a high wall and then wall jump off of the same wall to cover extreme distance. The direct uses of walls are very varied, experiment with them to learn more.

2. Indirect

Indirect use of walls is described as not interacting with the wall, but having the wall play a part in battle. This can be as simple as stepping behind a wall to avoid getting shot. One of the best indirect uses of walls is for cover and vision. Because S4 is played in third person, you can hide your character behind a wall while still looking out past the wall. For walls where you need to look past it on the right, this is no problem because your character is on the left side of the screen. When you need to look past a wall on the left side, your character is in the way. However, by pressing the Z key you can change the side of the screen your character is on, thereby allowing to look past walls on the left. You can also shoot through walls. Even though your character is hiding behind the wall, as long as your reticule is on the enemy and not the wall, you can hit them with bullets and not even risk your own Hp.
There are many indirect and in battle uses for walls and obstacles as well. Stepping behind a wall while fighting will help to disengage your enemy from the battle. He may very well then stop fighting you and try to reload. Simply step back out into the open and unload on him while he tries to. For small walls or boxes, you can keep jumping over them or moving around them to make your opponent chase you to kill you. This is useful for when you need to reload or if you're low Hp and are trying to survive. Using walls to your advantage will really help your game play.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B. DI

Directional Influence. This is one of the most important ideas and practices to use for anyone who plays S4. DI is exactly what it says it is: Influencing the direction you travel in. No matter where you are or what you're doing, you should always put this into effect. How to do it? Simply push w, a, s, or d. It's a bit more complicated than it sounds. You always do put DI into practice when moving around normally on the ground...but what about after a wall jump? You can slightly influence the area you land on by holding a direction. Jumping is also another good example. When you jump in the air you can influence the direction you go by holding any direction. This little bit of movement can be the key to dodging even well aimed bullets. Try taking SMGs into a game and jump while shooting them. As you climb in the jump hold left, and as you descend from the jump let go of left and hold right. This, among many other combinations of air DI movement, give you great evasion while letting you fire back at the enemy without a pause between shots. It's also good to note that DI takes no Sp to do; so if you've run out of Sp in a fight, start DIing like crazy.

Steps: w, a, s, or d while doing anything
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C. Wall Clear

Ever encountered those walls that are just a bit too high to jump up onto? By using a combination of wall jump and dash, you can clear those walls or ledges and either get up on em or get over em. Jump towards the wall you want to clear and make sure you wait until you've gotten to the peak of your jump. At the top of your ground jump, start a wall jump and then quickly turn your camera to the side. As your character pushes away from the wall, you will start to rise. Before you get too far away from the wall, perform a Dash onto the ledge, or over the wall. If you dash too soon or too late you wont make it, because dashing while mid-air makes you lose all upward momentum and sends you almost straight into the ground instantly. The wall you're trying to clear may also be too high and cannot be cleared. Experiment on different walls or ledges you can find to see where this move works.

Steps: Wall jump--Turn camera parallel to wall--Dash onto ledge as you leave the wall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
D. Fade Shot

This is the first real attacking maneuver of egS. By careful notice, one may find that shooting any weapon will instantly cancel the animation and movement of a Dash. That is exactly what you do to perform this move. Dash in a direction and then start shooting at your enemy. It's a quick dodge to enemy fire and then a quick transition to returning damage. Combine Fade Shot with proper DIing to create a fairly useful skill. Moves such as Dashing left, canceling to shoot, and then DIing by walking right are helpful. To change things up a little, you can consider canceling the dash at various stages of its development. Start a dash and instantly cancel it, cancel a dash in the middle, or cancel it at the very end. Any variation you choose (in any combination) will keep your opponent guessing at what your next move will be. Be careful when using this move with a long delay gun like a Revolver. The cool-down time of the rev will hold you out the open for a good second before you can move again, so if you do decide to use a rev, make sure you can DI well to dodge. This move does not work too well against sword users, be sure to choose something else to do if a sword is close to you. This move is easily flown into Full-Step and Half-Step.

Steps: Dash--Shoot--(DI)--((Repeat))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
E. Wave Dash

This is the core movement technique that will save you from many deaths, if you have the skill and Sp to perform it. The Wave Dash is a series of dashes canceled into jumps which are then canceled into dashes and over and over and over again. Because the jumps or dashes can cancel the other at anytime in its development, this move can be performed either extremely fast or fairly slow. Either way you choose to do it, it is very recommended to always cancel your dash and jump before the reach the ending frames of their animation. The end of the dash is very slow moving and takes a second to normally get out of, and the landing from a jump prevents other jumps or quick movements from occurring. Just keep it quick, keep it different, and keep it canceled, and the enemy bullets will never touch you. This move is good to perform if you have multiple enemies shooting at you, or you have been surprised by an enemy and need a quick save from death. This is not a viable option for normal movement though, for it takes too much Sp and moves you too short of a length compared to a regular run or wall jump.

Steps: Dash--Jump--Dash--(Jump)--((Repeat))

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PMxf1bNErps

Females can benefit from the Wave Dash when it is performed slightly differently. Because females dodge high, taking advantage of the extra height the jump can give you is important. For the Female character, start by jumping and then immediately dashing after it. You can get up to double the height of a normal jump with this. If you time the jump again right when you land from the first Wave Dash, you should be able to repeat it without much downtime. The lag between the moves is still there though, and so if you need a very quick dodge from a sword or need to get around a corner quickly then the male steps for Wave Dash is your better option regardless---unless you can Jump Cancel (explained below). The Female character using the female steps however is much better at dodging bullets.

Female Alternative: Jump+Dash--((Repeat))

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2GjgMc7Z7Xs

Kaigu's Wave Dash
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=r9x5mQOpKIo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
F. Full-Step

The main move in the core fighting style of egS is this: the Full-Step. Moving fast and returning shots to your opponent is what this move is about. You start this move off by first dashing, and before you start to slow down in the dash, cancel it into a jump. Immediately after you start jumping, shoot your weapon once. Your weapon should fire and start to cool-down during the jump. Before you reach the ground, your weapon should be back to it's normal position and you'll be able to dash again, jump again, and shoot again. Also note that DI can be used on the jumping portion of this move to make it more evasive.

The name of this move comes from the movement you take on the dash. When you dash, the best time to stop the dash with a jump is right as you slow down. This is also just about the full length (the full step) of the dash. If you cancel the dash any sooner, you'd be sacrificing evasive movement---wasting Sp. The two best weapons I have found to be particularly useful with the Full-Step are the Revolver for owning close opponents, and the Semi Rifle for dodging and shooting at longer range opponents. The most important step in this move is the shooting part. If you shoot too late, you may end up on the ground just standing while you wait for the gun to cool down so that you can dash again. The best indication that you have mastered shooting instantly after you jump, is by testing it with the Revolver. The revolver should cool-down just in time for you to dash when you hit the ground. Aiming with this move is also a problem. Although you are hard to hit, the enemy also becomes harder to hit if you can't aim well enough from the speed of your movements. When you practice this move, be sure to focus on your aim---for all the dodging will do you no good if you can't kill the other guy.

Steps: Dash--Jump+Shoot--(DI)--((Repeat))

Female Alternative: Jump+Dash--Shoot--(DI)--((Repeat))

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZMUGlL09oyg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
G. Wall Post

Shooting a weapon will cancel a wall jump, so why not combine the speed and evasion of the wall jump with the power of the gun? This move is normally used for more open areas where there isn't much to hide behind, but you have access to a wall. Jump straight off of a wall. As you fly away, take aim at the enemy start firing. The firing will cancel almost all momentum of your wall jump, and you'll plummet to the ground, further adding to your evasive power. After the move, either DI back to the wall and start another one, or flow it into a Full or Half-step. Other good uses include things like ducking behind a wall while an enemy approaches you, and then Wall Posting off the wall right as your enemy reaches the corner. Repeating this move is normally very safe because you recover a lot of Sp from all the time you spend in the air, and the only time you lose Sp is when you jump off the wall.

Steps: Wall Jump--Shoot--(DI)--((Repeat))

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6930JTL1owg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H. Half-Step

The Half-Step is a variation of the Full-Step which puts a stronger emphasis on evasion than shooting. Half-Step gets its name just like the Full-Step does. While performing a dash, cut the length (step) of the dash in half by jumping, cut the distance of the jump in half by dashing, and then cut that dash in half by shooting. This move is used for many different reasons. One good example is if you're fighting a familiar enemy, and he knows your style. By performing Full-Steps and Fade Shots a lot, a smart enemy can determine generally where you'll end your move, and so he'll fire his shots there. By using Half-Step, you can instantly switch your direction to avoid this fate and punish his mistake. Because this move ends much like a Fade Shot, be sure to DI to avoid any injuries. You can also vary the lengths of any part of the move to skew your movements. This move is more Sp intensive than others and will drain Sp fast if you use it too often. Sneak this one into your fights every once in a while to mix it up and keep the opponents guessing.

Steps: Dash--Jump--Dash--Shoot--(DI)--((Repeat))

Female Alternative: Dash--Jump+Dash--Shoot--(DI)--((Repeat))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I. Jump Canceling

There's an interesting property that the jump has which you're already familiar with---the ability to cancel dashes like when using Wave Dash. Wave Dash is normally done by dashing and then jumping, but waiting until the top of the jump until dashing again. This makes it so that you will hit the ground after the second dash, and you'll be able to jump again to dash again to jump again, and so on. However, if you jump and immediately dash afterwards (the female version of Wave Dash), then you'll dash and rise at the same time. This restricts your movement until you hit the ground again so that you can dash---Unless you can Jump Cancel. After jumping and dashing at almost the same time, you can 'jump' again. Now this second 'jump' wont send you anywhere. In fact, you'll actually plummet to the ground right after doing it. What it does do though is break you out of the Dashing animation so you have other options on what you can do next. By getting really good at Jump Canceling, you can chain together Wave Dashes incredibly fast, and dodge/move like crazy. Applying Jump Canceling to Half-step, while adding in another dash or two, can really speed up your attacking. Jump Canceling is also the reason why the female version of the Wave Step is possible (explained below). If you're a big fan of the Wave Dash, this is a must for you to learn. This is a hard move though---your hands will definitely spaz the first couple of times that you try to do this fast.

Steps: Jump+Dash--Jump(+Dash)--((Repeat))

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=h4_e9sBfJNA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Wave Step

Out of every single move listed in this guide, this is the second hardest and most 'Skillfully Useful' move. The Wave Step is a modification of the Wave Dash which cancels the jump by running instead of dashing again. There is no better ground evasion than this. Start by dashing to any direction, then cancel the dash with a jump right before you slow down, and then cancel the jump with a run right at the top of the jump. When you hit the ground from the run, start it all over again. This move has loads of uses besides just approaching an enemy. What I normally use it for is animation canceling to keep myself moving as fluid and fast as possible---especially with things like Wall Jumps. When you hit the ground from a wall jump your character will sit still for a second before grabbing his gun again and being able to move/fire. This second or so of dead time does leave you quite open and slows you down from reaching your destination. If you can pull one Wave Step off right before you hit the ground, then you can stay moving, stay evasive, and stay deadly. This move takes only a little more Sp to use than the Wave Dash, but because of the skill involved in pulling off this move correctly and quickly---the Wave Dash is a more viable option for beginner to moderate egSers. If you do Wave Step a couple of times and decide it isn't needed for good evasion, that's fine---but I still will ask you to learn and practice this move anyway, because by mastering it you will help your skills in other areas. I personally find it too addicting to stop doing.

Steps: Dash--Jump--(DI)--Run--((Repeat))

I originally thought that a female version of the Wave Step was impossible, since you can't cancel the dash with running. However, by using Jump Canceling you can break out of mid-air dashes and turn it into a run. Start with a female Wave Dash, Jump Cancel, and then run. This makes the Female version of the Wave Step harder to perform, but still viable to use in many situations. The one situation where this version of the Wave Step can't be used in, is to cancel the ending frames of the Wall Jump. You female characters out there will have to use the male version in order to keep your movement speed high. Female Wave Step does have an advantage over males elsewhere though, and that is when they are moving from a low point, to a high point (instead of a high point to a low point like from a wall jump). Using the female Wave Step to get out of ditches like in Station-1's center is one such example.

Female Alternative: Jump+Dash--Jump+Run--((Repeat))

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2GjgMc7Z7Xs

Kaigu's Wave Step
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=D_Hl_drliCA

IV. The Niche

This section is made up of gear-specific or situational moves. The Core of egS is different from this section because it consists of techs and combos that can be done with any kind of gear. Below this introductory paragraph you'll find advanced and specially tailored skills (some of which might still be experimental) that can be a real challenge to pull off correctly, and possibly even harder to master. Even if they sound silly to you, or you think they might very well be completely useless---I'd still ask you to becoming adept in performing them. Remember that better mastery over anything ultimately means better mastery over yourself and the other things you know.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
A. Platforming

I remember the first time I fought someone who was using the skill Fly very well. As I tried to shoot him on the ground, he suddenly sprouted wings and took off while firing back. My brain naturally assumed that he'd come back down and touch the ground, so I took a guess on where he'd be and aimed there. Trouble is, he never came down and kept going up---still shooting me by the way. I quickly adjusted my aim and shot back towards the sky, but as soon as I sent bullets his way---he let go of his wings and fell back down to the ground. In the end, I might have hit one bullet on him while he decimated me in a couple of seconds.

Great story, I know, but the whole point of it was to show that unorthodox movement can sometimes really screw with people when they fight---even if it's slow like Fly. Platforming does make use of a skill, and that would be Fly's cousin: The Anchor. The weapon best used with Platforming is the Revolver, but any will do. Start by jumping and shoot around the apex of the jump. Right after you know that the shot has taken place, start an Anchor (it doesn't matter where you aim it---but preferably right at your opponent). Immediately after the Anchor's board appears, Jump off of it and shoot again. You can continue this combo as many times as you want, or until you run out of Sp.

The Idea behind Platforming is that it allows you to trick active people or to get out of the way of the passive ones. Most unthinking players will just generally aim towards your direction and send bullets flying. By getting up in the air twice as high as a normal jump, you can completely avoid all of these bullets altogether. The thinkers (or just naturally good players) will have a constantly moving reticule and will follow you on your jump and through your descent. The problem for them is that you don't descend, you keep going up, and so they may incorrectly aim. In both situations, your enemy will naturally try to correct their aim---but when they do, just drop to the ground and fight like normal (or start Platforming again, whichever you choose). One notable thing about Platforming is that if you're close to your enemy you'll be better positioning yourself to get critical hits on your enemy while making it harder for them to do it to you. Platforming can also be used great around corners, over ledges, or when switching heights. Some cons of using Platforming is that it's pretty heavy on Sp, and screwing it up mid-battle can leave you disorientated. If you have pretty good aim (or better), consider using this one.

Weapons: Best=Revolver. Can be done with any others except HMG.
Skill: Anchoring
Sp Use: Very heavy; can only be used a few times in rapid succession

Steps: Jump--(DI)--Shoot+Anchor+Jump--(DI)--Shoot+(Anchor)+((Repeat))

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qWa9lImoLys
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B. Sky Step

As was mentioned in Platforming, unorthodox movement can really screw with people sometimes. With you Full-stepping around everywhere, some people would really start getting used to how you move and be comfortable with where to aim and what to expect. Combining the movement of Full-step with the movement of Wings will help prevent this. The basic idea is to tack on wings to the end of any move and take it from there. Rising with the wings, letting em go to fall back down quickly, or even floating in place with DIing left and right are all good options after you pull out your wings. One real interesting and good advantage to the Sky Step is that when you activate the skill, it doesn't interrupt your shooting---so if you carry an automatic gun and want to egS with it, Sky Step will allow you to be evasive and continue to shoot autos. Using this move does have a little bit of orientation issues (your character moves to the center of the screen when you pull out your wings), but that can be overcome with practice. Jumping, dashing as soon as you leave the ground, shooting, and then putting your wings up seems to be the best combo for Sky Step---but just remember that the main idea is pulling wings out of any move.

Weapons: Any, but slightly hindered with HMG
Skill: Flying
Sp Use: Moderately Heavy

Steps: Jump+Dash--Shoot+Fly
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C. Fade-Step

The Fade-Step has similar movement to a Full-Step or a Fade Shot, but is a much more advanced move to a high degree. If you've ever used the Full-Step or Fade Shot extensively with the Revolver, you've probably noticed that while the Revolver is cooling down from its shot that you can't move any better than a DI. For the Full-Step, this is okay because you stay moderately evasive by traveling downwards from your jump. If you're trying to chain Fade Shots, you can see where this becomes a bit of a problem.

The weapon best suited for Fade-Stepping is the Revolver, while the skill best suited for it is Shield (although it is possible to do with Invisible and Block, but those two take a chunk of Sp). Start by shooting. As soon as the bullets leave the chamber, turn on your shield or invisible/block. Before you even see yourself go invisible or bring up the shield, dash and then instantly shoot again. Skills can cancel shots made by guns, and the dash can cancel the skill---so thus you remain evasive while being able to bring out your full firing potential (i.e. you don't sacrifice any firing speed with the revolver when performing this move). This move is very fast and can be chained, but it is most definitely the hardest move to pull off as of yet. Even if you can get this move down skill-wise, the aiming with it is even harder. Regardless, this move has the most potential to be the most dangerous one out there---assuming you're willing to master it.

One weird thing to note about the Fade-Step is that when you perform it correctly, you'll be in the air after you dash. For whatever reason, you also jump when you execute the dash---but that's no problem. All the more evasive for the user.

Weapons: Best=Revolver. Can be done with any others except HMG
Skills: Best=Shield. Can be done with Invisible or Block
Sp Use: About equal to Wave Dash (Very Heavy Sp use when using Invisible or Block)

Steps: Shoot+Skill+Dash--((Repeat))

Testing Fade-Step
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4U_NfSQPw...feature=channel

Fade-Step Tutorial
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CNM6I6LKGlI
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
D. Full-Fade-Step

The Full-Fade-Step is exactly what you obviously think it is---a combination of the Full-Step and Fade-Step. This move is designed for two things: Moving in a more unpredictable way (to evade better) and to quickly rock people around corners, while staying moderately safe yourself. To start this move, dash to the side. Cancel the dash with a jump and then shoot. Right after you shoot, cancel it into a skill (preferably Shield) and then cancel the Shield into another dash. So, basically it's like popping around a corner for a quick shot and then returning back behind the wall for cover. Using it in the open is quite fine too, as it keeps you evasive and keep the enemy guessing. This move is easily repeated or flown into a regular Full or Fade-step.

Weapons: Best=Revolver. Can be done with any others except HMG
Skills: Best=Shield. Can be done with Invisible or Block
Sp Use: Moderately Heavy (Extremely Heavy Sp use when using Invisible or Block)

Steps: Dash--Jump--Shoot+Skill+Dash--((Repeat))

Female Alternative: Jump+Dash--Shoot+Skill+Dash--((Repeat))

V. The Weapons

Since you obviously can't punch people in this game, you'll have to rely on weapons to bring you to victory. Most of the weapons in this game are very varied and have their own special qualities. Knowing how each weapon works will help you select the perfect arsenal to fit your playing style, and will also help you determine how to fight an enemy based on their weapons.
A. Ranged

The Ranged weapons are the guns that'll let you kill an enemy from a distance. All guns share similar characteristics (they shoot, need to be reloaded, slow your movement while being shot), but they all vary in their use (such as how they shoot, how long their reload time is, and just how you can move while shooting them). Below, I have outlined each gun's basic functions, how they pertain to egS, and my thoughts on using them with Evasive Gun Style. For more in depth information on exactly how the guns shoot, visit LessThanPi's recoil mastery guide (http://www.s4source....p?showtopic=721). Remember that aiming at an opponent's upper body/head will do more damage because of critical hits---and that when you are reloading a gun, you can't evade any better than DIing.

1. SMGs

This gun is your best bet for a good kill in nearly any situation. Fast shots, good damage, predictable bullet paths, and a quick reload gives this gun incredible value in the field. From medium to close range this gun destroys people, especially when coupled with DI. One click will send 4 bullets in a triangle formation (last bullet hits the middle) at your enemy in quick time that can take him down in 8 hits or less. While the bullets are predictable in where they will travel, the spread between each bullet is so far that targets too far away will be hard to hit (though it's still possible). Spamming techniques like Full-step or Fade shot is not your best bet with this gun, since you need time in order to make a dent in the enemy's HP. Smart DI with good aim will let you dominate, even against the odds. I recommend this gun for ever egSer.

2. Semi Rifle

The Semi Rifle is an inverted version of the SMGs. The spread pattern, speed, and reload time is the exact same as the SMGs, but the accuracy of the bullets are much better. This comes at two costs though: The shots do less damage and it makes it harder to aim at close range. 11 Bullets or less will normally drop your enemy, but trying to flat-out kill your opponent shouldn't be your goal unless you're forced to. While the SMGs can blow people up, the Semi finds better use in taunting your enemies due to its accuracy. Right when people spawn you can take them down to almost half of their HP from a distance. You can easily disrupt snipers trying to take you or an enemy down since it can zoom. And even if the battle is raging on the other side of the map, right when you spawn you can help out instantly. Because of how fast close-range action is, you'll have a tough time trying to kill people close to you---especially if they have SMGs or a Rev. But if you've got the aim, and you're into support, this gun will be well-suited for you. For more intensive/front-line egSers, I suggest looking for a different gun.

3. Revolver

The ultimate close-range gun is this, The Revolver. This gun will burst 4 shots in a Y formation towards the enemy you're aiming at when shot. Because this gun is a burst gun, you need to aim once and only once in order to deal damage. When you critical with most of the bullets from this gun (by shooting the enemy's upper body/head) you should nearly kill your opponent in one blow, meaning most already hurt enemies will die instantly. When an enemy gets hit by this gun, they can also be pushed backwards which can help disorientate your enemy into messing up. This gun isn't without it's flaws though, it does have a bit of a cool-down time between shots that also hinder movement until it's finished. Also, this is a one time deal when shooting. If you mess up your aim and shoot too early or too late, you've missed your chance to hit the enemy and will have to try again. Aim can be a big problem when using this gun, and you will need a lot of practice in order to use it correctly. Regardless, this gun is possibly the best you could use for egSing. The better your aim and reflexes, the more powerful this one becomes. I recommend this gun for every egSer.

4. Gauss Rifle

The Gauss is a very interesting gun, even though it's definitely not the most popular. The bullets from this gun will always be perfectly accurate left and right---but will vary in accuracy in terms of up and down. This makes it a bit hard to aim with against fast dodgers, but the immediate accuracy kinda makes up for it. The first two or three bullets are practically perfect with accuracy, which makes this gun viable for long range sniping like the Semi Rifle, but with higher damage. The Gauss deals around the same amount of damage that SMGs do per bullet on a regular shot, but do deal a bit more damage in terms of criticals. Another thing to note is that you can stop shooting at any time in order to dodge or to throw in any kind of egS tech, unlike the Semi or the SMGs. Overall, the Gauss isn't a bad pick for an egSer, assuming you can get used to the aiming.

5. Handgun

Ever thought that one of the most useful guns wouldn't be used to kill people? The Handgun is a weapon that absolutely fails to kill people, but has one outstanding property that still makes it useful. While the bullet spread isn't too far away from your crosshair, the bullet pattern is completely random---so even if you have perfect aim on someone, it's up to luck if you hit them or not. Criticals with the Handgun do extremely high damage, but it's hard enough to hit your opponent that this isn't something you can rely on. The saving grace of the Handgun is its speed. The Handgun will let you move at speeds greater than what swords can move you. This feature alone is enough to make it very valuable in TDs. I'm sorry to say that it has no use in DMs, and that you would be better to take a different gun if you play them often.

6. HMG

If you like to be a support gunner, this is the weapon for you. With a 100 bullet clip and quick fire-rate, this gun has the best damage per second ratio. The only downsides are the obvious ones---it takes a second to fire, it's the most inaccurate gun, and the best evasion you can do with it while firing it is DI. This gun shouldn't be used for one on one encounters because of it's start-up time and inaccuracy. What it is good for is taking out groups. When a large mob of people are fighting in the same relative area, just start this weapon up and unload into the crowd. Since this weapon is inaccurate, any error on your part to aim at the enemy might be nullified by one of its many stray bullets. This also means that anyone who tries to dodge you still has a good chance of being hit. Ball runners or DIing sword users can still fall to this weapon---especially if their range of movement is restricted. Remember that you will be slow when firing though, so don't let anyone get too close. I do not really recommend using this gun with egS, as it takes away from the notion of 'Evasive', but there is a time and place for everything---and if you think your place is with this big boy, then go for it. Couple this gun with Wings for good effects.

7. Rail Gun

The Rail Gun is a pure sniping weapon that is meant to instantly kill long-ranged opponents. This gun isn't very compatible with egS because of a couple properties, such as charge-up and cool-down. This gun doesn't do practically any damage unless you charge it, and after you fire a shot it takes a good second before you can dodge again. DIing is very possible when you fully charge the gun, but you are slower than normal. Since this gun has no recoil (ever shot will hit the center of the crosshair), close-range fights with it will be hard. If you like to switch up your playing style a bit and you have good aim, then this gun isn't a bad option for you. Pure egSers or average aimers should look elsewhere.

8. Cannonade

The Cannonade is a specialty sniper that is meant to move opponents or to destroy obstacles. This gun is identical to the Rail Gun in terms of accuracy and that it needs to be charged up, but the difference is that the Cannonade does less damage than the Rail. It makes up for that loss in some interesting ways. First off, it's got splash damage, so even if you miss your target you'll still deal damage---or you can hit multiple targets at once. Secondly, it can push people, meaning that on a map like Station-2 you can easily shoot people off the edge and force them to die or reset the ball. Lastly, the Cannonade has the easiest time destroying obstacles like the environments or player-built walls. As you have probably already guessed, this gun isn't great with egS. It you like sniping but don't have the best aim (or just love to screw around with people on Station-2 or elsewhere) this is a good gun for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B. Melee

Because this style is called “Evasive Gun Style” and mainly focuses on using guns to fight, the sword weapons are not described in detail. This doesn't mean that Melee weapons are useless with this style, because there are many situations where having one will bring you to victory---and that's what the most pertinent thing is in this game. If you're a very loyal gun user and don't want to carry a Melee, I still will ask you to consider picking one up. After all, if you run out of bullets in the middle of a fight, then your enemy gets an almost free chance to kill you. Swords also let you move faster than if you were holding a gun, so that's another thing to consider when choosing your set-up. Here are my thoughts on using Melee weapons with egS.

1. Plasma Sword

The Plasma Sword is a very good choice for egSers because of its free movement and long dash. Left clicking will do regular swings, holding the left click will do one strong swing, and right clicking will make you dash forward quickly towards your opponent. You can also stun people with a jump attack. Unlike the Counter Sword, the regular swings with the Plasma are quick and don't lock your animation. This means that movement and attacks can be easily combined and rearranged during fighting, like dashing and then swinging at the end of it. The right click with this sword will force you into a cool-down time after the move finishes, so don't miss with it. For DMs, this weapon will find its most use in stopping opponents from fleeing and when you're on the defensive stand. For TDs, you'll find that this sword is very useful in stopping enemies from scoring while helping you to quickly score yourself.

2. Counter Sword

The Counter Sword is an absolute powerhouse. This weapon outranks the other two melee in terms of pure damage. The only real weakness to this sword is that...well, there are no 'weaknesses'. Other than the insane amounts of damage you can output with this sword, everything else is on average. Left clicking with the Counter Sword will swing it forward in the direction you are looking at and pull you along for the ride. Holding left click will unleash a powerful smash attack which can be canceled into light slashes. The Jump attack moves you forward, and is viable on the offense. Right clicking will let you guard against other sword attacks, as long as those attacks aren't strong. After playing around with this sword for a while, you should already begin to notice that all of its moves will lock your animation. There is a very noticable cool-down time associated with stopping any move the CS can perform, so it is very dangerous to stop attacking until the enemy is dead. The CS makes up for this by its spammability. Heavy smashes and light slashes are interchangeable, which let you spam away at the enemy until they are dead, or to let you get away. From a DM standpoint, this weapon will shine on the offensive and in groups. If you're talking about TDs, you might as well just take my advice on DMs. Oh, and, the CS can help you score too with a couple of light slashes.

3. Storm Bat

I doubt any other melee that will be created in the future will ever be as fun as this one. The Storm Bat is a mesh between the power-locking moves of the CS and the freedom of movement with the PS, and it is a fun weapon to use. Every move the Bat can do has very different properties from the other. Left clicking will let you swing in a wide arc in front of you. This will slow your movement down a little and it takes a second to swing, but it has a pretty wide range and gives you freedom of movement. Right clicking will make you spin around and attack everyone around you. You can chain three of these together (timing it right will critical) and it makes you move slightly faster than normal, but it doesn't stun enemies or vertically strike them. The Jump attack with the Bat will let you instantly spike the enemy in front of you. This move has incredible high damage and is almost instant, but has a small range of attack and suffers from a large cool-down time. Overall, the Bat is a very balanced weapon that has loads of uses in every situation, but mainly on defense. For DMs, you're gonna wanna use this weapon in sneak attacks and on the defensive. In TDs, use this to defend.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wi00CbtRgnU

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C. Special

These “Special” weapons are reasonably different from all the other weapons in the game. They aren't the strongest weapons hit for hit, but if you use them right they're pretty deadly. Each one has it's own niche in egS.

1. Mind Energy / Mind Shock

Although these two weapons do two opposite things, the way they're used is exactly the same. The Mind Energy weapon will heal your teammates while the Mind Shock weapon drains your opponent's HP. The way these two weapons differ from all the others is that when you reload you gain a portion of your 'clip' back every second (instead of just getting it all at the end like the other guns), and they can be used through walls. Hurt an enemy a whole lot but didn't kill him because he ducked behind a wall? Mind shock him to death through the wall. See a teammate who needs health but you can't get to him? Heal em through the wall. Mind Energy should really only be used when you have a break from battle (unless you're just crazy and want to heal teammates while fighting). Mind Shock should be used whenever you think you can outwit the enemy, or you can block/dodge their attacks. These weapons can also heal/attack enemies even without your perfect aim (but if you can aim, you'll critical). Mind Energy is for people who like to be the hero on their team---basically keeping people alive so they can score another kill without dieing. Since Mind Energy is not really an offensive weapon (directly offensive, I mean) I can't really tell any specific group of people to use or not to use it.

Mind Shock has one special attribute that needs to be addressed. If you do zap an enemy with it, you'll get healed a small amount. This doesn't really help all that much if you're getting pummeled by shots, but if you're only getting scraped every once in a while then it's gold. I'm basically saying that if you can DI better than your opponent can aim, you can technically win every single battle that you come up against. Since you don't have to aim perfectly to hit with this weapon, and because it heals you a little every time you suck HP, just jumping and DIing like crazy works. There are also other good uses of Mind Shock, especially with walls and other obstructions. If someone really wants to charge you with a melee or gun and you've got a box near you, just play 'Ring-Around-The-Box' with them while zapping them. By constantly keeping the box between you and your opponent, you can keep them from hitting you while you whittle down their HP...AND recover some of your own. Using the Block skill with Mind Shock is even better, since you can stop anyone's approach to you with the Block, and then zap them through the block---forcing them to go around it or destroy it if they want to kill you. I recommend Mind Shock to most egSers, especially those who want to improve their DI.

2. Sentry Gun

Ever wanted an extra set of hands on you so you can dish out more than 100% of your firepower? This is all you've been looking for. The Sentry Gun is a turret that you can set up anywhere you want. The biggest plus to the Sentry Gun is that it has perfect accuracy and will always hit your opponent when it fires (assuming your opponent isn't behind a wall). There are limitations in using it though, such as you can only set up one at a time (three max in one life), it can't shoot behind itself, and it only shoots in a three-burst format before it has to reload. Regardless, this is a great weapon pick if you doing something like fighting in the same area for a long time. Set up a Sentry gun in the area you're fighting in and then take on a battle near your sentry. Your opponent will be faced with two options: either try to kill you or first destroy the sentry. Since the sentry hits every bullet, it gets annoying really fast, and annoyed enemies will normally try to destroy the gun. Because your enemy is now not shooting you, you don't have to dodge. All you have to do is to concentrate on hitting them with your shots. If your enemy is smart though, they'll understand that when you die, so does your sentry. When they start fighting you, your sentry is able to just fire away, and still hit every shot it fires. Since your enemy is focused on you, all you gotta do is dodge his shots and let your sentry kill him. No Full-Stepping, no Fade Shooting, just Wave Dash and DI around your enemy's bullets. Eventually he'll fall to your sentry gun, scoring you a kill without wasting any of your ammo. Sentry Guns don't have to be used so directly like this though. You can find a place a lot of people go and just set up the Sentry and let it shoot whomever passes through. Unless your turret is well-hidden, I don't think this is a good option since you're not really defending it. All in all, I recommend this side-arm to every egSer---it's a great way to whittle down your enemy's HP or to give them another distraction to shoot.

3. Senty Nell

The Senty Nell (or Sentinel) is a strict defensive install weapon that shines in closed spaces. You only get three installs per life like the Sentry Gun, and it works by stunning enemies that get too close to it. For this reason, it is best used on the defensive and in surprising the enemy. And for those reasons, it is best used in Touchdowns as a way to stop ball runners. Effectively using the Senty Nell in Deathmatches is quite hard because people don't feel the need to always attack. Coupling the Nell with other things such as the Block Skill will increase its effectiveness. When using this weapon, just remember that people will eventually figure out where you're normally putting it and will try to avoid it. Change its position sporadically.

VI. The Tri-Attributes

To the dismay of many egotistical idiots out there, Skill is NOT the only thing that affects your battles. In fact, it's less than half of what actually causes you to win your fights. Here I have outlined the three main attributes of the game that affect the outcome of every battle: Luck, Skill, and Knowledge. Knowing these three and working them to your advantage will definitely up your game play---and maybe give you a little insight that sometimes both your wins and losses are not always your fault. This section is designed to help teach you how fights work, and what you can do about it.
A. Luck

Whether you choose to believe it exists or not, Luck is a factor that comes into play in every battle. Affecting battle outcomes at around 15%, Luck is defined here as: 'Things that you can't control which affect you in, or against, your favor.' Luck is in about everything. An unskillful player gets a perfect shot off, someone messes up a Wave Dash but the enemy over-aimed, or you run through an area where a box was destroyed and as soon as you make it through, the box comes back. All of these are examples of Luck. Ever seen someone hiding behind a wall with their back facing you? Didn't you try to carefully aim your shots on them to kill them? I'm sure you won that battle---but you've gotta understand that Luck was the reason you won. That person could have turned around to see you before you shot them, but they didn't so you won. You didn't control them and force them to not turn around, but it still worked out in your favor, so it was Luck. Luck is also in situations like when you're trying to reload all your empty guns after a battle. As you try to get more bullets into one of your guns, you turn a corner and there's a Counter-Sworder right in front of you. You just got unlucky and took a bad turn---while they got Lucky and accidentally found an unprepared opponent, you.

If you do get a really crazy kill on someone don't start bragging about it, Luck is in everything---Just as if someone just flat out owns you, don't let their bragging get to you. Even real noobs can kill pros sometimes just because of this little factor, no one is excluded to the Luck Attribute. Don't disown this idea, do not say it doesn't exist, and just accept that you do get lucky kills, and unlucky defeats, sometimes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B. Skill

Ranking in at around 35% battle influence, Skill is defined here as: 'Things that you control which affect you in, or against, your favor.' Skill is only what you can control, such as your movements and aiming and positioning. Assuming that all other factors are equal and the playing field is level, Skill is the determinant of victory or defeat. One form of Skill is the pure use of your fighting techniques. Being able to pull off faster and/or more precise and more effective moves than your opponent will give you the upper hand. If two egSers get locked into a even battle, and one can aim more precisely with Full-Step than the other one can, who do you think will win? Another form of Skill is how you transition between moves and fighting styles. Being able to easily switch through moves will help you to remain evasive, while being able to change fighting styles quickly will save you from that one aggressive gunner who's hiding a sword in their backpack.

Skill is definitely present in all situations, but it isn't the most determining factor. Having more skill will, of course, help you plenty to win your fights---but Luck and something else called Knowledge also come into play.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C. Knowledge

The biggest determining factor in whether you win your battles or not is this: Knowledge. Knowledge is defined here as: 'What you know.' Really simple, isn't it? Although it doesn't seem complicated, it covers so many things---which is why it ranks in at 50% of battle outcome determining. Skill helps to win battles, but if you don't KNOW what you doing then how can you do it? The Luck involved in the other person not turning around to see you about to shoot them works because they don't KNOW that you're about to shoot them. I empty my gun at an opponent and duck behind a corner while reloading, making the enemy charge me---while I step back out from the corner and Rev him in the face. He didn't KNOW that I still had some ammo left in another gun, so I won the battle. It really isn't that hard to see that Knowledge is always very prevalent. If people don't know that you are hiding behind a box and they just run past it, you can jump out and shoot their back for free. If someone doesn't know that you're on the ledge above them and you drop down behind them, you get to shoot their back...and again for free! There are many many other forms and uses of Knowledge out there---but the main idea is that you don't need it to work against you. Look up. Look down. Look around. Look everywhere. If you don't know where the enemy is, you can't win. Study, practice, and constantly utilize your moves. Knowing exactly how, when, and where to use them will let you position yourself for victory. Know the maps and all their nooks and crannies. You will be able to better position yourself to win, or to effectively chase or approach an enemy.

And lastly, know that there's more to your battles than only what you see. Lucky wins do happen; Skill isn't the only determining factor; and Knowledge is half the battle. All of these come into play at different points in your fights.

VII. Influence

If you could control your enemy and make them do whatever you want, you would win every battle, right? Although you can’t make them do everything you want, you can influence them to move or act in a certain way that you are prepared to handle. There are many ways to do this and it’s all based on the relationship between…
A. You and Your Enemy

The way every battle works is, something happens and you react to it. If you can control what happens, then you can always react accordingly and win every battle. Because of the degree of variance that can be implemented into every situation, I wont try to say exactly what you should do---but rather, examples of what can be done.

--If you are fighting a one on one battle and run out of ammo in one gun, start reloading it and pretend to run away. When your enemy starts chasing you, immediately whip out a plasma sword, turn around, and charge them with it. You influenced your enemy into chasing you, and they paid the price for doing what you wanted them to.

--Play Ring-around-the-Box with an opponent until he gets tired and frustrated at trying to get you. Let him proceed to destroy the box while you pull out a Revolver and blow him away as soon as you can see him.

--Reload a gun and step behind a wall after getting an opponent's attention. When he charges the edge of the wall to turn it, face you, and shoot you, simply Wall Post over him and shoot his back.

--Pretend that you can't fight back and then hide from an enemy. If they're out in the open, they may see the chance as an opportunity to reload their guns. When they do, step out from cover and take your free shots.

--Wall Clear over an obstruction, away from an opponent. Immediately Wall Clear again back over the wall and take a free shot at their back.

--If you damage an opponent badly and then hide, they will most likely flee. If you know a fast route to circle around the map and hit the enemy from another angle, it's a win---since you know that they're retreating.

--If you know of a spot that an enemy likes to hang out a lot, wait until they die or kill them yourself and then hide in the area. When they come back to hang around in their favorite spot, spring an ambush and earn your easy kill.

Influence in itself is kinda hard to define in perfect terms for all situations. There are always many options to choose from and many different ways situations can be played out. All this section was designed to do was to get to you to think in the battle-molding way that can literally send people on killing sprees. There really is no correct way to influence your opponent to win, only many different options and good/bad choices for you to find and try out. Remember that every opponent is different and that not all of them will react the same to similar circumstances.

VIII. Strategies

Influencing your opponent to get him to do what you want is very important in every playing style. Combining certain types of influence and using them in their certain situations gives you a great upper hand in battle, especially when formally used in a Strategy. Here I have outlined three basic strategies that I use constantly while playing. These are not the only strategies out there, nor are they the only strategies that will make you win every time. Combine these strategies, mix em up in fights, and create some of your own. Having a strategy to use when fighting certain opponents normally gives you the upper hand in a fight, regardless of skill. If an enemy is able to counter your strategy, then take that opportunity to learn. How did he kill you, and what went wrong? How could you improve the strategy to fight better? Here are my ideas on three general strategies.
A. Hit and Run

Do exactly what it says. Hit the guy with a bullet and high-tail it out of there. It's normally a good idea to hide around in a general area and find someone who doesn't notice you're close by. While staying close to cover, pump as many bullets as you can into your enemy before he can turn around and return fire. Before you get shot at, duck behind cover and run away to the next nearest place to hide. If your opponent's aggressive or just got really mad at you, he may rush you. Just repeat the process over again until he dies. Make sure that when you retreat you have a moderately clear or uncomplicated path to look back at so that you can check to see if he's coming or not.

If your enemy actually decides to flee, give him some more shots. If he gets away, don't worry about it. You're helping your team out by hurting the enemy, and if you perform this strategy perfectly, then you shouldn't take any damage yourself. Lowering the enemy's chances for success in the next battle is almost as good as taking him out right then. And don't worry about people calling you a No0B for winning. The Scoreboard proves who's pro, not useless words. This strategy is also very good to use on sword users. Without long range attack at their disposal (or without the will to use their long range attack) they just wont survive.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B. Reload

The Reload Strategy is a mean one. Basically, just keep dodging quickly to avoid the enemy's fire, but only return a very minimal amount of your own bullets. After the enemy's wasted all their shots, they'll have to reload. You wont even have to really dodge anymore since they can't shoot back, so take this time to get an easy kill and regenerate some Sp. All you have to focus on is aiming and shooting them down. Be careful if they have a melee weapon since they could always resort to that. If they do pull out a sword though, they're limited to close quarters and all you gotta do is keep your distance. Even if they try to charge you, just keep backing up. If they can't catch you then they can't kill you, since they have no loaded guns anymore. If they hide behind destructible cover, try to either get over it or destroy it. Be cautious if your opponent takes any kind of cover though, as they may use it to lure you to a trap. If you carry a melee weapon, rush them when they try to reload. The enemy can't dash, run, or wall jump while reloading, so melee weapons have a great advantage.

This strategy is very useful on people who only stack their weapons list with guns (or just don't like using their melee a lot). Without a melee weapon, they either have to try and withdraw from the battle without dieing, or stay and hope to dodge you while reloading. Either way, they're stuck in a tight spot, and you've got a big advantage.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C. CQF

Close-Quarters-Feigning. The basic idea behind CQF is to annoy the heck outta your opponent and to get them to either make a mistake, or to just generally become off balance. One of the best ways to perform this is through height changes. If there's a way to wall jump on top of a roof, and that place is close by, start fighting there. When the battle gets to close quarters, Wall Post up on the roof. Once on the roof, shoot at them a little and then jump right back down close to em. A few seconds later, jump back onto the roof again. A little while after that, Fade Shot back down. Walls are also a good option for CQF. As you shoot your opponent, duck quickly behind a wall. Wait there for a good second and then Fade Shot or Full-Step back out into the open and resume the fight. If anything, they'll either try to reload when you duck for cover, or they'll just waste bullets on the wall. If they try to rush you, just Wall Post over them and take your shots. Boxes or short walls can let you utilize both of these ideas. Duck behind a box and fake going out one way but pop out the other. Jump on top of a box while fighting, and then jump over the enemy. If you're quick enough, wall jump off a box and over an enemy.

There are many other ways to use CQF, but most are situational. Keep this idea in your head as you fight, and find those specific spots to pull this idea off. Remember that a big downfall to Gun CQF fighting is if the enemy has a melee weapon, because they can whip it out and rush you. If you know your enemy, then plan in advance what could happen and prepare for it. If you carry a melee weapon yourself, plan that into your feigning as well. This strategy can be used in nearly any situation.

IX. Notions

As with any game, there are defined ideas that work behind the game which make it operate in a certain way. In this section I have placed my written articles about all of the ideas I have found and why I believe they are important to understand if you wish to bring your play up to it's maximum potential. These are just ideas, and so some things may very well be close to impossible to actively accomplish or put to use---but I believe that everything I write here has importance in the S4 League, whether it be with the way one plays or the way one thinks.
A. Gender Differences

A question I get asked a lot is, “Aren't Male characters better at dodging (and therefore better at egS) than Female characters are?” If you've ever played (or even seen for that matter) a male and female character then you've probably noticed some obvious differences like how they hold/shoot guns, the small height/voice/socials differences, and then the most important difference---how they both dash to dodge. When Males dash sideways, they crouch low to the ground. This is very evasive as most people normally aim at the upper body/head of their opponent, and being so low to the ground will dodge most of that. When Females dash sideways, they spin high through the air like when doing a cartwheel. The thought is that because most people already aim high anyway, and that Females would get hit more than Males would when they try to dodge.

When I actually put this to the test, I found that there's not really much of a difference. Yes, females dodging high means that they're most likely closer to the enemy's reticule than a male would be, but it's the speed and directional uncertainty of the dodge that really makes the move evasive. If someone were to know exactly which way you were dodging every time, then technically they could follow you with their crosshair. But if they really did know which way you were dodging, then they could just follow you high if you were a girl character, or low if you were a guy character---so it wouldn't even matter anyway.

One thing I have found that actually might tip the evasive-gender question in female favor, is that adding a jump right before you dash makes you ascend while you dash at the same time. For guys, this means that you end your dash at around the same height as when a girl normally dashes. For girls, this means that you end up twice as high as when a guy normally dashes. This height add-on that jumping before dashing gives to the female character is more than likely even more evasive than any dash that a male could make---since it very easily clears an enemy's reticule at a normal range. There is one downfall to it though, which is that you can't cancel

Any way that you may look at it, the differences between the genders have been noted. Take your pick on which you want to play as---for whatever reason you choose. For those who want to play as a male character, just follow the steps that I have listed under every move. For the player who chooses the female character, there will be alternative steps to the applicable moves right under the original. If there aren't alternative steps, just follow the original.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B. The Game of Criticals

S4 League is a game that seriously rewards you for precise aiming. Instead of just simply playing the game of S4, you should more intensely play the game of criticals. Why? Well, to be honest, you'll win.

Let's take the Revolver for example. One bullet to the upper body from a Rev does 15 damage. That means you have to hit your opponent with at least 7 shots (up to a max of 9/10) in order to kill them from full health. Now, if you hit your opponent in the head with only one bullet from the Rev, you will do 38 damage. That means that 3 or 4 bullets to the head (which can be accomplished in a single shot) is an instant kill---and so a battle can stop just as fast as it starts with just one well aimed and well timed shot.

SMGs do 14 damage to the upper body, and 35 to a head shot. That's near the same as the Revolver in killing time, and you get lee-way in missing with your aim. The Semi rifle does 11 damage to the body and 27 to the body (10/15 shots to the body for a kill versus 4/6 shots). Even the Rail gun gets a very strong benefit from criticals. One regular, uncharged shot from the gun will do around 33 damage to the upper body. Now, criticaling with an uncharged shot will do upwards of around 80 damage! A person, assuming he's good enough, can literally walk around owning people with uncharged rail gun shots---one to the head and then one to the body for a kill.

It's no surprise then, that the person who can critical is the player that dominates. I've seriously seen (and actually have done before myself) a person who rushed the enemy's base alone with the ball and obliterated the entire enemy team, simply because he consistently head shotted them with near all his bullets.

Consistency though, is the key. And consistency is very possible. As described in LessThanPi's Recoil Mastery Guide, every gun shoots in a specific pattern every time. By studying the gun you use, you should easily be able to see where the bullets fly and correct them accordingly. This means that it is technically possible (though improbable) to get head shots with every single bullet, every single time---provided you know where the enemy will go and can correct the bullets perfectly.

Even if perfection is out of your reach, criticals should still always be your goal when you shoot. Even if you only critical every 3 or 4 shots and miss all the others, you are still killing your enemy as fast as if you hit every single shot to the body---and with the instant high damage criticals give you can also finish off a weak opponent before he even has a chance to damage you, so it's no wonder that head shots are very important with shooting. Practice getting very good at Playing the Game of Criticals.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C. The Insanity of Gameplay

Insanity – Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results

If you have ever studied any match or have been aware of the overarching tactics of a match, then you should have noticed that things repeat a lot. There are many different maneuvers, jumps, anchors, and tactics that are powerful and useful in winning, so of course people will use them again and again. The danger in using them though, is the routine that is built from them---and the stubbornness that the routine can manifest with it. Routines and tendencies are not always bad, but when someone is unwilling to change them when they need to, so also does their losing streak stay unchanged. Breaking away from the routines of fighting can sway any defeat into a victory.

Let's start by examining Deathmatches. After playing a certain map for a few games, people start building a routine in where travel, what places they visit (if any), and how they fight. This is true of everyone. For your routine, stick to it if it works. There is no reason to change how you fight if you are winning. But if you aren't winning, and you notice that you aren't doing well, you first need to find out why. Maybe it's your aggressive style, and in order to perform better you need to outcamp the enemy to force them to come to you. Or even let a teammate distract the enemy first so you can attack from a different angle. Maybe you're being too defensive and your enemy is crafty enough to break through it. It could be how you are defending and you need to strengthen it, or you need to change defensive spots, or maybe you need to start moving around---but change needs to happen, whatever it is.

You could even change your routine to include the enemy's routine. Find their favorite spot and make it a habit to check that spot, and the paths leading to that spot, often. Be wary though, for if the enemy figures out that you figured out what they are doing then they will attack you from a different direction than what they normally do (in other words, they changed how they were playing in order to counter you).

Touchdowns are much more extremely routined than Deathmatches. In Deathmatches you spawn in different locations, so the different numbers of certain people that are alive at any given point make the battlegrounds shift constantly. With Touchdowns, the fighting is segmented into rounds and each round starts the same way. The ball is always in the same position, the players always spawn in the same spot, and so the routines of people at the beginning of each round are almost always the same.

Routines also run people's actions when they try to score the ball. If an old maneuver or tactic worked well in past games, then of course people are gonna try to use it in their current game---myself included. But when this tactic elevates itself to such a high degree in someone's mind that he uses that move and only that move, then we have a problem. I have seriously played with three people before who all rushed the train on Station 2 at the same time. One person grabbed the ball and ran out to anchor over the guarding wall, while the other two stayed inside the train. The person who tried to anchor got about halfway over the pit and was sniped down. Teammate number two grabbed the reset and tried the exact same maneuver. He got sniped before his anchor even hit the wall. Teammate number three got that reset and astonishingly did a wall jump off the level, before anchoring onto the same spot as the other two. A plasma sworder got him.

And all this time, I was thinking to myself---Don't you guys know the definition of Insanity?

Ridiculous examples aside, just because a tactic worked once does not mean it will work again. Maybe you just got lucky those two times you flew to the goal on Station 2, or those three times you ran a reset off the enemy's left wall to the goalpost on Station 1. You may now have a good lead on them, but that doesn't stop the enemy from having a counter-sworder on the goalpost or a Senty Nell around the corner the next 20 or 30 times you try that same maneuver.

But also, just because a tactic failed once doesn't mean it will never work. Your attempt at a PS dash to the goalpost on Old School probably failed only due to the lack of support from your teammates and the numerous amounts of the enemy (i.e. their entire team) that were fighting you. The fake walljump-to-death that you anchored out of on Station 2 might've been the perfect solution to scoring in that situation---but the enemy just happened to have all 5 of their sentries up at the same time to stop you. Before you test the same tactic again though, make sure something is different---whether it be making sure that some of the enemy is dead first, or destroying the sentries before you rush into their base.

Change is what will make or break your victory. If your attacking or defending strategy clearly and consistently works, then don't change it. If your tactic used to work and is not working anymore, or never worked in the first place, then some change needs to happen. Finding out what change is needed, and how to correctly apply the change, is what I'll leave to you to discover.

Adaptability in your current situation is the biggest reason “Pros” will lose to newbies, and how the unskilled can overcome the very skilled.

X. Conclusion

And that's the guide. Now, you, as an S4 player, have a few choices. You can either go out right now and switch your entire play style to egS, see it as over-rated, take the knowledge to heart, or shun the guide and flame me for it (my e-mail address is Cysote@yahoo.com for any and all flames)---but I can't control what happens. All I can do is give you the information; I can't make you burn it, or practice it, or whatever. You need to decide what you need to do. Before I let you go, I want to talk about one more thing...
A. Your Own Style

Look. This GUIDE may be a great GUIDE, but it is only a GUIDE. This is not the only sure-fire way to play S4, nor is it the style that beats every other style every single time. This is only one group of thoughts, one idea on how to compete. There may very well be other and better styles that exist out there which are perfect counters to egS. Never stop looking for the next new technique, and never stop trying to become better than what you already are. Sticking solely to this style and only this style will make you miss so many things that could better your skills and improve you. Don't let this...GUIDE...make you miss out on anything else that could help you more. The road to becoming better is always more dynamic than one set of instructions.

XI. Resources

For example videos of any moves listed in this guide, check at the very end of said move. If I have a video for it, it is there. If any idea presented in this guide is confusing, or you want more information on a topic, PM me at s4source.com/forums or email me at Cysote@yahoo.com and I'll get back to you when I can.

Kaigu's Counter Sword and Evasion Guide
http://www.s4source....p?showtopic=657

Kaigu's Wave Dash and Wave Step Videos
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=r9x5mQOpKIo
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=D_Hl_drliCA

LessThanPi's Recoil Mastery Guide
http://www.s4source....p?showtopic=721

XII. Credits

Wall Clear - Researched and developed with Genkai.

Wave Dash - Discovered by Kaigu/Hasaekai

Wave Step - Discovered by Kaigu/Hasaekai

Sky Step - Researched and developed with Skyzinha.

Full-Fade-Step - Researched and developed with Druko.

XIII. Thanks

I extend my thanks to all of my good buddies and friends who introduced me to S4 League and encouraged me to create this style. I also thank all of the S4 players out there right now; without you there wouldn't be an S4. My most special thanks goes to all the players, students, and scholars of GunZ:The Duel. Without their dedication to the study and development of Gunz, I doubt I would ever have even thought it possible to be able to redefine and recreate an already outstanding game into something even more incredible.

Signed,

~Cysote Dokgo~

© October 13, 2008

User is offline   Cysote 

• Scholar
  • Group: Members
Saved post for future updates.

User is offline   Reiki 

• Pro - Combi Master
  • Group: Root Admin
Not the first time I've seen some of these manuevers, but to have them defined and enhanced into something original is amazing. You did an excellent job and they're viable moves using the basics and exploring new possibilities with them. I'd approve the guide, but you don't seem finished yet so I won't add it just yet. As a friendly suggestion, I might suggest checking other guides for terminology or ideas you could use to enhance your style further.

You should consider taking your style out for a spin in the Korean Division, I'm sure you'll get a lot of good reception on it as much as you do here.

User is offline   Cysote 

• Scholar
Thanks Reiki. It'll be a while before I can get it completely finished. I still want to create a few new short clips for some of the moves on YouTube (which requires playing time...and the servers being up) and make sure my logic holds on many parts. Give me another week or two, it should be near completion.

User is offline   Reiki 

• Pro - Combi Master
  • Group: Root Admin
Alright. I'll delete these posts later when they're fully fixed. Hmm, just a suggestion, but your style seems to focus primarily on the basic fire type weapons: Semi-Rifle, Revolver, and SMGs. Have you considered using the Gauss Rifle? I'm not sure if it would fit with your evasive style, but the massive damage dwarfs the Semi-Rifle and SMGs as well as a more painful option to returning fire.

User is offline   Cysote 

• Scholar
From what I've seen with my own experience with the Gauss Rife, it's a viable option for egSing. The shots are accurate and only spread straight up, they don't spread out, and they fire instantly unlike the MG (if I'm remembering right). If you pump shots with the Gauss, the first three or so actually stay very accurate. As long as you have the aim, the Gauss is a great weapon for egSing. If you really just want to unload as many Bullets as you can without pause, just DI around, it's works almost as well.

User is offline   Dogboy 

• Beginner
dang it cy, at it again

good guide, as always

User is offline   Cysote 

• Scholar

View PostDogboy, on Oct 14 2008, 01:30 AM, said:

dang it cy, at it again

good guide, as always
xD! Thanks. Doesn't it look strikingly similar to my dStyle guide? I didn't even notice until like halfway through writing it.

I like how you made an account, just to reply to my guide too, that's really pro. I hope to see you in game and to get some good info for new stuff about S4 (that I can't catch myself) from you. If there's anything you see missing in this guide you think should be there, pm me or something.

User is offline   Dogboy 

• Beginner

View PostCysote, on Oct 14 2008, 06:36 AM, said:

xD! Thanks. Doesn't it look strikingly similar to my dStyle guide? I didn't even notice until like halfway through writing it.

I like how you made an account, just to reply to my guide too, that's really pro. I hope to see you in game and to get some good info for new stuff about S4 (that I can't catch myself) from you. If there's anything you see missing in this guide you think should be there, pm me or something.

yeah well, you're just irresistible

the way you write you're guides, it's just makes things a lot easier. I'll be sure to say anything that needs to be said and rank up with you.

I see one thing missing from s4...daggers XD
mmm beddy bye!

User is offline   castitatis 

• Beginner
<3 your guide cy

Hmmmmm, people kept whining all morning cause I was wave dashing around + using egs
Was fun

User is offline   YoshiBlood 

• Rookie
Holy crap you got it done before Tuesday xd
Just like GunZ, your guide will prob change alot of the people's playing style here.

Btw ever think of clan for this game yet? (hint hint) lol.

User is offline   Cysote 

• Scholar

View PostYoshiBlood, on Oct 14 2008, 08:24 AM, said:

Holy crap you got it done before Tuesday xd
Just like GunZ, your guide will prob change alot of the people's playing style here.

Btw ever think of clan for this game yet? (hint hint) lol.
Heh, working on it Yosh. Lemme get this guide fully decked out first and then we'll start setting some things up. I'm thinking of using a named ranking system similar to what we had in gunz.

User is offline   Still Trace 

• ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ kyaaa ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
  • Group: Moderator
All i see is animation cancelling O_o Anything else?

User is offline   Cysote 

• Scholar
Because a lot of animations can keep you stuck in a certain position for longer than what is healthy (to live a full life, that is), canceling animations and pulling yourself into another one is the principle of evasion. There are other things in there such as DI which are very useful and don't require it, but canceling moves into other moves is the cornerstone to playing evasively.

Physically, 'moves' are all you're really doing when you play. Walk forward; walk left; walk diagonally; jump; aim; shoot; dash left, and so on and so forth. The only real upgrade to physical movement is to cancel these animations and to make them faster. If you find something else for movement, like being able to phase through walls, lemme know xD!

But really, I do also have plans for the mental side of the game in there. I'll get those written out and typed up within a week or two.

User is offline   PieExplosion 

• wat

View PostYoshiBlood, on Oct 14 2008, 08:24 AM, said:

... your guide will prob change alot of the people's playing style here...

I plan on integrating it into my Dual Melee + Revolver style. :)

User is offline   Grave 

• Pro
umm in ( ) you should insert Hasaekai for WaveDash....Since it is ...His move...

User is offline   Cysote 

• Scholar
Is it really Hasaekai's move? I thought Kaigu owned Wave Dash, since he has it in his Counter Sword/Evasion guide and only referenced Ethsperion for a different variation of it. Give me the location of Hasaekai's publication of it and I'll change my 'Legal' section to fit it.

User is offline   Grave 

• Pro
Hasaekai = Kaigu

User is offline   Dogboy 

• Beginner
hmmm..I just can't think of anything else that could be integrated, maybe this is as far as it goes..because s4 is coded waaaay better than gunz.

This guide really helped Cy, (used stuff in it today)

not much of a finding, just another animation cancel that some might think is useful
jump-dash+shoot...

it just cancels the jump 3/4 the way through and allows you to shoot :\

User is offline   Cysote 

• Scholar

Hasaekai = Kaigu
Alright...I'll update the name in the Legal section.

Don't go around thinking that I'm trying to steal techs now though :P. I already posted in the Legal section that 'Kaigu' owned Wave Dash before you helped make this clear to me. When my Guide does become complete, the resource section will also state Kaigu's credits and have a link to his guide.

View PostDogboy, on Oct 14 2008, 07:37 PM, said:

hmmm..I just can't think of anything else that could be integrated, maybe this is as far as it goes..because s4 is coded waaaay better than gunz.

This guide really helped Cy, (used stuff in it today)

not much of a finding, just another animation cancel that some might think is useful
jump-dash+shoot...

it just cancels the jump 3/4 the way through and allows you to shoot :\
Same idea as fade shot, just with a jump---or you can think of it as 3/4ths of a Half-Step. I think I'll stick a section on Gear-tapping in there and reference it with Full-Step and other applicable moves.

Updated my guide, the section on Strategies is now complete.

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages) +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Return to forumsMember Login
Register new account